Thursday, May 26, 2011

I've learned today...

Last night I had two of my neighbors over  while we watched American Idol Finale. We munched on my homemade vegan popcorn and what was left of my 4 dozen chocolate chip cookies.  My neighbors, they live about 5 houses down. I may also add that they are twins, born about 2 minutes apart. Yayyyyyy so happy that Scott McCreery won. Though, Lauren was my other choice too. I think America made the right decision in terms of who they think should be American Idol this year.

Anyway, what really intrigued me was the conversation  that happened after Idol, between these twins.  They were talking about this person, and a part of their conversation went something like this: 

 Linda: So, I heard from Chris after a long while.

Tausha: Oh, how is he?

Linda (laughing): He's lost his mind.

Tausha: what did he do?

Linda: Remember how he had gone to live in Switzerland? Well, he had a great job there, with decent pay and everything, but he left it, and now he came back and is running a farm in the country.

Tausha: What? why?

Linda: Well, he said he's happy now. He wasn't happy in Switzerland, and felt lonely. So, he came back, and now he's very content with his farm and the animals.

Tausha (disbelief): He left a good job because he felt lonely?

Linda (sighing): Yeah. He says he's very happy now.

*Linda and Tausha scoff at this together, not understanding how a man could leave a 'good' job and become a farmer in pursuit of happiness*

And I realized today, that my neighbors  don't quite  understand happiness itself. They think that becoming successful is what's going to make you happy. Who knows I could be wrong... no judgement  here.  Everyone chooses their own careers and are entitled to their own beliefs.

My neighbors, one is a lawyer and the other one, an ER Doctor. They both aren't married, no kids.  The doctor  says she's suffering for it. She's depressed, frustrated with her career, and it's also affecting her family life since she is always on call.  But, she struggles on.  She thinks that becoming successful at her career is going to make her happy. But...will it really?
 The other twin, always a workaholic. Work, work, work. Being at home makes her restless. She doesn't understand creativity, she's never read books that were not in the syllabus in her schooldays, or how a simple farmer, who could have been a wealthy businessman, can be happy with his mediocre life. She tells me that artists or artistic people are crazy.

I've learned something. I've learned that these girls can't really be happy, because they don't understand what happiness is. They think it lies within success, wealth, marrying a 'good' man with a 'good' background...etc etc.

For me, I think happiness comes from within oneself. It doesn't lie in money, reputation or a career. Maybe a farmer struggles more than a wealthy businessman does, but you know what? He does it with a smile and in the end, he's happy with his life. That is what I strive for..... Happiness all around.
What makes you happy? What inspires you? I'd love to hear (:

This picture put a huge smile on my face. The dog and baby watching the Telly together. She even has her arm around him. Sooo cute (:

4 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head, LPK. There is so much that I could say, but I decided to just narrow it down to an outline...

    This is what makes me happy and inspires me:

    1. Our loving Creator and his son, Christ Jesus...and the spiritual brothers and sisters that he has given to us to love and worship with.
    2. My children and the fact that I have been able to be home raising them (from my oldest to my youngest)...and despite all of the financial hardship, I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    3. Nature & animals and our well-loved pets.
    4. Particular family members (though I love them all, not all of them make me happy or inspire me..lol)
    5. The wonderful people that I have met and made friends with thru Etsy, sharing a common interest in what we love...Crafting!

    Love your blog, LPK! Thank you for bringing a smile to so many faces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there, from alketa. Had to read your blog LPK( what is your real name by the way:-)?)
    I agree with Dokotacrafts you hit the nail on the head. Ppl think that having a good payed job is happiness, and fulfill your dreams..the only thing that i will not wish my kids is to have a "steady "office job" dress up in a suite and lose their life in such a world. I live in place that is surrounded by few office buildings and all i see is how lonely , hopeless and depressed those "good job" ppl have. And one of them even said that he has no chance to get a girl friend or have a life.. yeaah, you are right, happiness does not come with money ..but most of young people do not understand that ...and i love this picture too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! My happiness comes from the peace I receive from the Lord and my beautiful children! I also love crafting and anything to do with being creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree! Happiness for me comes in little things throughout my day. It may be something as simple as an unexpected "I love you!" from a friend or discovering I have some munchies in the fridge that I had forgotten about.
    My JOY comes from knowing that no matter how badly I screw up something my Jesus is ready and willing to forgive me if I only ask.
    Something that is making me very happy these days is my new little fur baby that I adopted June 29, 2012 from the local shelter. She is a 7 week old ball of energy named Daisy. She is a Jack Russell/Pug and is of course beautiful and smart!

    ReplyDelete